I came across Food-tuber Maangchi through Andre’s friend. He was also a foodie like me and he spoke of this Youtuber – he said that if I wanted some authentic Korean food, I should look her up! Since then (2016), I have been a fan of her cute sense of humor and bursts of energy.
The recipe below came from her site, and creating it brought so much comfort during a dreary and lonely quarantine period. Not to mention, we just love Honey Butter anything and everything! I mean who doesn’t? (but then again, it could be an acquired taste, so?...)
So, yeah! Honey Butter Fried Chicken by Maangchi, everyone!
Honey Butter Korean Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds of chicken wings (or chunks of chicken)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 4 cups cooking oil (corn or vegetable oil)
For honey butter sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup white or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
Prepare the chicken
- Put the chicken in a bowl and mix with salt and ground black pepper.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl and add starch, flour, and baking powder.
- Mix well by hand.
- Heat up a 12 inch skillet with the cooking oil over high heat for 5- to 7 minutes until it reaches 350° F. You can dip a tip of chicken into the hot oil to see if it is right temperature or not. If several bubbles come up, it’s time to fry.
- Put all the chicken pieces into the hot oil one by one. Let cook for about 5 minutes until the bottoms of the chicken turn a little crunchy. Then flip them over with tongs, splitting up any pieces that have fused together.
- Let cook another 5 minutes and then turn them all over.
- Keep frying and occasionally turning over for another 10 minutes until all sides are nice and crunchy.
- Transfer the crunchy chicken one by one into a strainer over a stainless steel bowl.
- Let the oil heat up for 1 minute and then put all the chicken back in. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes until all sides are crunchy and look golden brown.
- Strain the chicken and turn off the heat.
Make honey butter fried chicken
- Heat up a large skillet for a couple of minutes. Add butter and garlic and stir it up until the garlic turns fragrant and a little crispy. Add soy sauce, sugar and stir until well melted. Add honey and stir.
- Keep stirring until it bubbles vigorously.
- Add the chicken and the pumpkin seeds (if used). Mix and stir well to coat evenly.
- Serve right away or let cool to serve later.
serve and enjoy!
and remember, MAANGCHI!